41kms · 42 mins by car · 90 mins by public transport
5,037 population (2016 Census)
Kenthurst is located approx 39 kilometres from Sydney's CBD. Kenthurst features a large park, numerous schools, a petrol station, a function centre, a rural fire service station, a public swimming pool and a shopping complex with parking. The shopping complex features a post office, supermarket, butcher, newsagent and bottle shop, hairdresser and other shops.
The original inhabitants of the Kenthurst area were the Darug people. The Darug were the custodians of the majority of what is now the Greater Sydney region. They were divided into a number of different ‘clans’, whose quick demise upon European settlement has sadly resulted in very little information remaining on how the local area was utilised.
Kenthurst was originally known as Little Dural. Charles Gibb aroused interest to change the name to Kent Forest around 1886 (ironically much of the ‘forest’ had been felled in the mid 1800’s for timber), but the colonial government settled on Kenthurst. The name is derived from the English County of Kent and 'hurst', a woody hillock.
Kenthurst Post Office opened on 1 August 1887.