57kms · 49 mins by car · 90 mins by public transport
1,244 population (2016 Census)
Maraylya is located approx 58km from Sydney's CBD, bounded in the north and the east by Cattai Creek.
The original inhabitants of the Maraylya area were the Darug people. The Darug were the custodians of the majority of what is now the Greater Sydney region. They were divided into a number of different ‘clans’, whose quick demise upon European settlement has sadly resulted in very little information remaining on how the local area was utilised.
This locality, east of Windsor, was originally known as Forrester after an early landholder Robert Forrester who was granted 30 acres at Mulgrave Place in 1794. In the 1920s the local Progress Association changed the name to Maraylya which is presumed to be an Aboriginal name, but the meaning is unknown.
Cattai Creek runs through this rural area leading to Cattai National Park.
The western part of Maraylya is prone to flooding after heavy rains, particularly from run-off from the Scheyville National Park.