53kms · 45 mins by car · 110 mins by public transport
3,033 population (2016 Census)
Pitt Town is located approximately 53 kilometres north-west of the Sydney CBD. Bounded in the north by the Hawkesbury River. Pitt Town was originally known for its market gardens and orchards, the fertile land is now covered with turf farms.
Pitt Town is one of the five 'Macquarie Towns' established by Governor Macquarie in 1810. It is named after William Pitt the Younger, the 18th Century British Prime Minister.
In 1981, Pitt Town became nationally and internationally recognised for setting of 'Wandin Valley' in the long-running television series 'A Country Practice.
Pitt Town is home to one public school in Buckingham Street and two churches, St James Anglican Church on Bathurst Street and The Scots Church almost directly opposite, as well as two cemeteries. The Pitt Town General Cemetery is located off Old Stock Route Road and the Pitt Town (St James) Anglican Cemetery off Old Pitt Town Road, which contains many of the early pioneers of Pitt Town.
Pitt Town has many heritage buildings in excellent condition with many recognised as local and state listed heritage items.
Pitt Town's historic buildings include:
St James Church - Located on Bathurst Street and designed by Edmund Blacket.
Maid of Australia Inn- Located on Bathurst Street and operated between the 1850s - 1890s.
The Old Manse- Located on the northern end of Bathurst Street.
Long Neck Lagoon are listed on the Register of National Estates.
Bona Vista- Located in Johnson Street, built in 1888.
Scots Presbyterian Church- Located opposite the Anglican Church in Bathurst Street. Built in 1862 and dedicated to St James.