56kms · 50 mins by car · 66 mins by public transport
1,891 population (2016 Census)
A little over an hour by road or train, 56 km north west of Sydney, you'll find the historic Windsor township. Set on a high bank of the magnificent Hawkesbury River, at the foot of the Blue Mountains and surrounded by beautiful National Parks.
The rich Hawkesbury Valley was discovered by Europeans in July 1789 by Governor Arthur Phillip while searching for fertile farmland to grow food for the struggling Sydney settlement. He further explored the area by land in April 1791. In 1794 Lieutenant Governor Francis Grose made land grants of 30 acres each to 22 settlers.
In 1810 Governor Lachlan Macquarie established the township of Windsor, which was previously known as Green Hills. Windsor as a river port became the lifeline of the early Sydney settlement as the colony's granary.
Francis Greenway the Colonial architect designed his masterpiece, St Matthews Church here (c.1817-1822) and the area is the Windsor Court House (1821-1822). A classic Georgian colonial building, the Court House is still functioning today.
Now, 200 years later, the pioneering spirit of the early European settlers, and thousands of years of Dharug Aboriginal history can be experienced throughout the Hawkesbury Valley.
Dine at one of the many restaurants or simply grab a takeaway or ice cream and stroll around the historic town. Visit the many places of historical significance. Stroll and picnic by the river or take a cruise boat. Walk through the landscaped mall and find yourself transported to a bygone era of 'value and good old fashioned service'.
Horse and cart rides, ghost and historical tours are all available in this convict town.
WINDSOR MALL SUNDAY MARKETS: 9 - 3:30PM. Many new vendors make this market terrific Sunday shopping.